* Provides excellent corrosion resistance
* High chromium content allows for good aqueous corrosion resistance
* Excellent resistance at normal temperatures and also has good resistance to oxidizing and carburizing atmospheres
* Good resistance to oxidation in intermittent service in air at temperatures up to 1040°C and 1150°C in continuous service.
* Good resistance to thermal fatigue and cyclic heating.
* Widely used where sulphur dioxide gas is encountered at elevated temperatures.
* Continuous use in 425-860°C range not recommended due to carbide precipitation, if subsequent aqueous corrosion resistance is needed
* Generally used at temperatures starting from about 800 or 900°C above the temperatures at which 304H and 321 are effective.
* Commonly used in the heat treatment and process industries due to high temperature and corrosive environments
* Often fabricated into complex structures
* Roller-forms, stamps and draws readily
* Because 310swork hardens, severe forming operations should be followed by an anneal
* Austenitic stainless steel is generally considered to be weldable
* Generally considered to have weldability equivalent to 304 and 304L
* Special consideration is needed to compensate for a higher coefficient of thermal expansion to avoid warping and distortion